Sol design + consulting is looking for a hands-on field professional with high attention to detail to
provide on-site inspections, testing, and documentation as part of our green building certification
services. Sol is a growing business with learning opportunities and room for advancement.
The position of Field Inspector will work under direct supervision of our Vice President of Energy, and
with our Testing & Verification Inspectors. Salary range will vary from $35K to $60K commensurate to
experience, knowledge, and business development potential. Entry level candidates are strongly
encouraged to apply and will be provided with on-job training while Sol assists the candidate in
acquiring the necessary industry credentials.
- Perform on-site building performance testing and inspections in accordance with company
standards as well as RESNET standards and/or BPI.
- Conduct energy efficiency tests (air infiltration, HVAC duct tightness, ventilation airflow rates,
combustion efficiency and safety, building pressures, etc.)
- Perform field verification of energy/green building features utilizing office-provided procedures,
checklist and tools
- Meticulous attention to completeness of inspections, recording and documenting all findings via
clear photos and reports
- Read construction drawings and specifications to verify/coordinate energy/green building
- Travel 3-4 days per week within 100 mile radius, and longer distance with overnight travel about
one night per week
- Ensure appropriate materials and equipment are brought to job site to adequately complete
home performance testing
- Evaluate own work for errors, omissions and workmanship problems
- Cleans and maintains company-issued equipment daily
- Maintain record of material and time used on each job, and report bi-weekly
- Follow all safety rules set forth by company and governmental regulatory agencies and ensures
that hazardous conditions are reported and corrected
- Other duties as assigned to meet Testing and Verification needs of the office
- Degree in Building Science or equivalent experience in construction trade, such as HVAC,
electrical, insulation or carpentry
- 1-3 years or more of experience in construction or energy rating is preferred.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems and any appliances is preferred.
- Knowledge of framing, insulation installation is preferred.
- Experience operating test equipment (preferably blower doors, thermal imaging cameras, CO meters, duct blasters, etc.)
- Aptitude for interpreting architectural drawings and construction specifications
- Ability to effectively communicate technical and program concepts in written and verbal form to builders
- Computer software fluency - Microsoft Excel and Word; navigate online project workflow tool; use smart-phone app for field verification
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Basic math skills, including geometry
- Must have good analytical skills and problem solving abilities
- Ability to: lift in excess of 75 lbs.; climb ladders; follow safety awareness and protocols
- Ability to work in small spaces (i.e. attics, crawl spaces)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Passion for buildings and energy efficiency